How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Saturday, August 10, 2013

End Game Anxiety

How much more pleasant my present would be
if my future were not filled with such possibility
for stress and conflict and alienation.

Maybe the gods will intervene and once again
give me gifts I don't deserve, in this case
my own Get Out Of Jail Free card
a quick clean painless passing
but probably not.

Instead I'll get some eventually terminal disease
that my doctor will combat with all the latest wonders
and the prognosis will be good and bad and good again
in this medical dance that has become the American
way of death, which I'm expected to embrace, of course
in this age of medical miracles.

Stop the presses!
I ain't dancing.
Once the music begins, once the ending is clear,
I'm leaving the party - and leaving really pissed
because I'm not getting the party I deserve
the party we all deserve.

Death should be institutionalized as a celebration
of life. Throw me a farewell wake, make me the guest
of honor as we celebrate my deeds and my family and friends
my joys and my blessings, celebration and gratitude
so my passing gets put in proper perspective.
Then let medical supervision make sure I pass
just as a gift of the gods would have it.

But no, if I leave the party, the American way of death,
I leave alone, like some feared rodent, some killer
of precious ideologies, some crazy man who must
retreat into an isolated corner to take care of business
as best I can without support, without good wishes,
bang bang, and what should have been a celebration
becomes an ugly mess that somebody has to clean up.

Lew Welch was right.
e. e. cummings was right.
Lord Byron was right.
D. H. Lawrence was right.
And I'm right, too.