How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The Last Song of Violeta Parra

Commissioned by a Santiago theater company, this is a one-act hyperdrama, a great place to begin an exploration of the form.

The Cast:
  • ALBERTO, 20s, the groom [begin] "Voltaire told us to tend to our own gardens. I think he was right."
  • LUISA, 20s, the bride, inheritor of the house [begin] "I want life to be a honeymoon."
  • JUAN (EL ROLO) RAMIREZ, 20s, the gallery manager [begin] "We were still determined to let the world know the truth about the death of Violeta Parra."
  • EDUARDO MEZA, 20s, an artist [begin] "I do my best work when I'm upset."
  • FRANCISCO LARRAIN, 40s-50s, an art critic [begin] "The weapon I choose is Wit, Eduardo. You're dead."
  • CARMEN EYZAGUIRRE, 40s, a business woman and art collector [begin] "The degeneration of culture is very real, I'll grant you that, but it does not mean that I have to pay for it."
  • ANA, 20s, her daughter [begin] "Customs will not worry about someone as wealthy as mother. She will take the painting to Madrid . . ."
  • GUILLERMINA, 20s, asst to Juan [begin] "I wanted to do something important in the world. To make a contribution."