How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Comes A Time

There comes a time when it's just too much
this accumulation of disasters and mayhem
Nature's indifferent anger the worst
because the most preventable

and I have to turn away and distract myself
with work that won't matter in the ash heap
of the future but which today is my sole grip
on this semblance of sanity I call my life

and in this way one day follows the next
and I thank the gods repeatedly repeatedly
that I am an old man and thus will be spared
the worst to come, and I can remember what

I thought were better times, before the trigger
to this point of no return, deliriously happy
in my human ignorance of the sowing
and its eventual crop of disaster, it appears

we were a mistake from the beginning in
the larger scheme of things, one day to be
studied like dinosaurs, just another extinct
species, a mistake of Nature

a realization offering no relief whatever
and all the more reason for distraction
my work in the present tense
daily and normal routine

cooking reading music
enjoying what I can
hello Harriet hello Sketch
it's a beautiful day in small perspective

thank the gods for age, we'll be gone
soon enough in the meantime
Gerry Mulligan sounds great
a signature comfort breakfast!

a new Overdrive. to bring out
let's bbq steaks for dinner

Does it get any better than this?