How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

An orderly transition

Several recent books have made my hard copy archive much more "user friendly," which means, more attractive to browsers and easier to find similar writings. That's the entire point of the exercise. As soon as I update my digital archive section heads, I'll be in great shape ... and I anticipate only one addition to the literary part of the archive, the new CJ, after which I hope to focus on the audio area, which has been neglected. Music, maybe some readings.

So I feel damn good about where everything is at now. One other change: I am ending the Overdrive experiment at 10 books. I'd gather 9 of them in 3-book volumes (one already done), leaving the Christmas story to stand alone. Grunt work I'll do after retirement, I expect.

The Overdrive experiment has mixed results. A few readers understand its new and even ground-breaking contribution to narrative. A few more hate it, expecting traditional and more verbose writing. But I think a champion of the new form, with more energy than I have, could make it work. I'm not the guy to do it. I hold out the baton for someone younger to run with it.

The new CJ story is very clear to me. What is not clear at all is the right take on the material, the style, the attitude in the telling. Maybe I should try some page ones in different styles and see if anything excites me.

Ever onward.