How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pete Seeger: a Dissenting View

Pete Seeger: a Dissenting View » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names:



"Seeger faced loss of livelihood and even prison for standing up for what he believed. He lent his voice and strength to many good causes over the years; and yet, even though I enjoyed his music and many of the songs he sang have become part of me, I cannot bring myself to join in the celebrations of his life. Why? Because the standard I apply to those I take seriously is not simply their support for peace, civil rights, labor and the environment, but their willingness to oppose the misleaders within those movements, and that, so far as I know, he never did. I guess some would call me sectarian."



Interesting argument: Seeger as ideologue.