How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Friday, February 5, 2016

Idealism v Pragmatism

My best friend and I argued endlessly about the 1968 election ... I was for Dick Gregory and the Peace and Freedom Party. Dick argued this was a vote for Nixon against Humphrey. I said principles trumped results. Dick said this was political masturbation.

I lost big time. And I lost more painfully backing McGovern in 1972. I began to question idealism in American politics.

All this taints my view of Sanders' run. I don't trust "the people" much any more. I think there is a very practical reason Republicans are drooling for Sanders to be the candidate. They can red wash him with his own words out of context and tons of stupid folks will buy it. Clinton, on the other hand, has been in the Republican fire for so long it's old, boring news.

I think Sanders has a real good shot to get the nomination. I don't think he has a chance in hell to win.