How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Thursday, February 4, 2016

"The People"

Sanders has a great deal of faith that "the people" will follow his lead to have "a political revolution." Woody Guthrie had a similar faith that the people could act in their own self-interest. So did Thornton Wilder.

Once upon a time, so did I.

But no longer. I think that too large a portion of the citizenry is too ignorant of too much to do more than knee jerk cliches of American mythology. The "educated citizenry" that Wayne Morse believed essential to our national well being does not exist today.

As a result, I think the election will be determined by compromises and coalitions and might even go to the House if Representatives, so divided is the angry nation. In this context, I think Clinton is more electable than Sanders, clearly the more progressive candidate.

But I'm not betting on the Dems to win.