How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Encore

I really like this recent poem.

Aging

1
I have much physical evidence
that years ago an impostor
stole my identity and used it
to put plays on a stage
to publish books and articles
to win grants and awards
in a frenzy of literary activity
that finally has come to an end
so that I can be myself again

2
I have vivid memories of being naked
in the presence of beautiful naked women
to the mutal satisfaction of all
but recently have begun to doubt
the veracity of my memory
since I find no concrete evidence
not a photo, not a momento
in any of various family albums
that such encounters actually happened

3
I have a vague feeling that I'm waiting
around for something or someone
who will explain to me the point
of all this spare time on my hands
now that I'm just another forgotten
and ignored and irrelevant senior citizen
who once upon a time had purpose
and was far too busy and productive
to wonder what in hell is going on