How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Perfect performances

Every sensibility cherishes a number of moments of perfection: artists delivering a song or performance that seems beyond improvement. Very high on my list are the two below.



I've had the good fortune to see him do this live several times at the Ash Grove, as well as one on one at the Earth Tavern on an afternoon when I helped him set up for an evening gig. The guitar work here is as well married to the vocals as possible, clean and subtle, flat picking at its best. There are several Elliott songs I call perfect, but perhaps this is number one on the list.



No one played harmonica like Little Walter before or since. The blues here is as good as it gets, and the harp playing, under-stated and clean, incredible timing, well, it blows me away.