How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Downsizing

My old AlphaSmart got the cobwebs dusted off the other day. It works like a charm. 700 hrs on 3 AA batteries! Easily transfer up to 100 pages single spaced text files to PC or netbook. What a tool for writers in the boonies, traveling light, and so on. I should start using it again because I also like the FEEL of it so much. What a tool!

I thought they'd closed it down but it has been sold and now re-invented as Neo-2, aimed primarily at young school kids as before, and now there is is router for wireless connection to Google Documents built in, a convenience indeed, and still under $200. I swear, a mobile writer can't find a better tool than this, especially when away from power for long stretches of time.

Also the ASmart is much easier to carry around ... and I've been thinking of a special project to write on it, maybe the posthumous project I keep having trouble with. More about this later.

It's the last week of classes! Today I show the doc "Dreams On Spec," easy day. Collect project Thurs, most of which I just read, for a grade. Collect finals in a week. So the end is near, in 10-2 days my grades will be in. Summer begins!

Two BIG summer projects. 1. Downsize the house, starting in the basement. Get rid of 75% of what we own. 2. Get the "Stories in Overdrive" project going, publish at least the first, preferably the first two, and start laying a groundwork for small income after retirement.

This is pretty damn exciting, all these changes. Really! Old man, new tricks.