How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Old School

Old technology can be liberating.
I sit on the deck, writing a letter
on my Alpha Smart keyboard, old school
device from the early 90s, which
reminds me of a typewriter with its
hard action and clicking keys,
and I love this, I love the nostalgic
memory of writing on my portable Olympia
on a bench in a campground, I could be
camping this very moment, here on my
own deck, a homeowner, I could be
homeless in a campground and would
love every moment of it, especially
the clicking keys on the Alpha Smart
as they use just a small tad of the
700 hours they have on 3 AA batteries--
up yours o laptop universe!--and I
remind myself that something new is
not always something better, and
count myself as one of the lucky ones
liberated by old technology, including
myself, I suppose, old school human.