How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Musical instruments

I love my Cordoba ukulele! I haven't been this excited about an instrument since I got my 12-string guitar. Great story. It belonged to Barre Toelken, the great folklorist, professor and folk singer, before Utah State lured him away from the Univ of Oregon. I used to play his 12-string at his parties. I loved it. I had a 6-string at the time. 12-string made my inept style sound better.

So one afternoon in grad school I step onto the elevator and there is Barre. Want to buy my 12-string? he asked. No way I could afford it. $500 would be a steal. But he was in desperate need of cash, having IRS troubles. You can have it for a hundred, he said. What!? Yep. Wow. Sold. That was in the late 1960s and I still have it. Always loved it.

And now my Cordoba ukulele. And I am making solid progress this early on, gaining confidence I might learn how to play this thing a bit decently. Very exciting actually.

Harvard game a bore. Dull announcers, Columbia offering no competition. Switched to K State upsetting Texas Tech ... excitement! on the K State radio station. Always good to listen to upsets on the underdog radio station.

Well, our old house has a serious issue we will have to deal with one way or another. I think you face problems like this far differently as old folks than as young or middle aged homeowners. It is stupid to spend a fortune and die the next day, in other words. So this will take careful thinking for our own best and elderly interests.

Having a good morning. Got a whole bunch done on Cratchit, already about a third of the way done. Going in early Tues and Thur, I might get close to finishing.

Marketing isn't going well but then I'm not as active at it as I was early on. It's a big job you have to keep at, and I don't really enjoy it. But I'll make a genuine effort with the bundle since it also is available in paperback.

Well, I might push the student work to Sunday. Not so much to do, wouldn't be a problem.