How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Options

if it were up to me
in a few years
after my wife is back on her feet
just about the time my body's breaking down
and before the food and water riots dictate the future

I'd go to sleep one night
and not wake up
the perfect ending
to a remarkable life

but unfortunately
this gift is unlikely
and I'll be around past my time
perhaps far past my time

which will force me
to take charge of the circumstances
and select the best option for departure
all options distasteful

and the sane option unavailable
in our barbaric culture
a simple peaceful pill
taken after loving goodbyes
at my farewell wake

no, I'll have to make my exit alone
with some ugly awkward final act
for which I have no skill set
for which I have no stomach

but which is the only option
left to me to leave with
some semblance of integrity
some semblance of dignity

as Socrates knew
as Robin Williams knew

the only option left
in this crumbling City on a Hill