How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Artsy Fartsy Shuffle

The Artsy Fartsy Shuffle

the literary powers that be
which used to adore me
with the most exaggerated praise
with perpetual attention
and reams of good press

haven't taken interest in me
for some time now
which upset me
when it first happened
and baffled me for some time
especially since my work
was better than earlier

until it occurred to me
that none of this
not the earlier prizes
not the earlier grants
not the earlier success
had much to do with my work

but rather was a calculation
in a literary marketplace
of current trends and fashions
over which
I had no control

and Ezra Pound warned me of this
and e. e. cummings warned me
this is common knowledge
if you know where to look

so I shouldn't waste time
fretting about the past
which was a one-night stand

but also don't fret about
the present or future

and just do what I do

and thank the gods
for whatever actual connections
I make along the way

posted from Bloggeroid