How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Thursday, June 25, 2015

On the deck

Writing on the deck again this morning. This really is one of the best things about this house, the deck on a morning like this. Chores to do soon but first I'll enjoy the moment, sip my iced coffee, reread what I've written.

We have a major hot spell beginning, with a few days over 100, they say. Makes cooler morning especially pleasant.

Harriet trying to find an email that tells her which of two paintings are accepted for a show next week. She can't remember. Man, memory plays such an important role in daily functioning. To lose it ...

We met our tax guy, late sending it, but get a larger refund than usual, so we are taking some for a summer trip. Most to bills, of course. But we can get a week or ten day adventure out of this ... visit her grandson in an institution in Boise, daughter and another grandson in Baker City ... head east, in other words, between here and Boise. Maybe this month? Well, depends when we get the refunds. Usually they are pretty prompt.

H said today that we bought this house as our last home. Oh, okay. Will be a little tough when neither of us can drive, we're isolated. But I love it here. It was her idea to move, at one point she NEEDED to move. Okay. I bend more easily than she does. "The inside of my head is my country," as I once wrote in song lyrics.

My LA friend L. has become my closest friend. Wish we could hang together now and again, her laugh at the absurdity around us is infectious. I get it on the phone, at least.  Kindred spirit.

Man. it's a beautiful morning! Retirement should feel like A VACATION, in my book, and that's what it feels like now, out here on the deck with the AlphaSmart, watching the birds feed.

I need to do some yard work today or soon. Before the heat settles in. That's the toughest part here, the yard work. Eventually have to pay someone but I will hang in as long as possible.

*

I don't understand why more writers don't use the AlphaSmart ... and why the company didn't market to writers, and add little features writers might like. It is a great tool, much better than a laptaop because IT ONLY WRITES, no distractions of the net or email or games or sport scores. All you can do here is write, and it is perfect. And the small screen also is great because it discourages rewriting ... this is for drafts, you can rewrite later on the computer. For what it is, it is just about perfect, and it is very sad that they are so hard to get now. I owned 3, one died, so I still have two, and now and again I check to see if any have become available ... you can get them pretty cheap now, and I like the security of having a backup. I have never used a better writing tool! But except for a few international journalists who love its 100+ hours battery life, I've heard of few other writers who have discovered it.

*

I wish H could find the mind set where she feels like she's on vacation. Life remains very troubling for her, in the transition into her new reality. It takes time. But if she could get there, we could have a lot of fun hanging out. But now it's pretty stressful around her.

*

Of all the things I make at home, buttermilk is the most improved from anything you can buy in a store. It is truly delicious and very different from the packaged buttermilk today. But you used to get this from the milk man, delivered to your porch. Progress?

*

This weekend has 4 exciting WC matches. I'd love to see a USA-Canada final. More likely to be Germany-Japan. But all four matches interest me and should be exciting. A good weekend for sports!

*

Two butterflies on the butterfly bush! Used to get them all the time but it recent years, very scarce. This is great.

*