How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Sunday, July 26, 2015

On the AlphaSmart

MONDAY. Memory and Mythology.

Living with H's memory loss brings home how important memory is to giving stability and continuity to a life This is why memory gets institutionalized in rituals and memorials. Makes much more sense to me now. Unfortunately, the process also turns memory into mythology, a distorted memory slanted for political or religious purposes Then generations get raised on lies.

A great example of the situation here regards our house. When H returned from the hospital in Oct., she stated that she no longer could live in our house. Too isolated, reminded her of her heart attack. I love the house and had no desire to move. Sit on it, I suggested. But she insisted. Reluctantly I agreed, we would sell the house and move.

It was a gigantic task to get the house ready to sell. But I started, found a real estate agent, and so on.

Some months along the way, H had a fit one day because I was selling the house. It was very important to her to own a house. Her parents never owned a house. Ownership was part of her image of herself as successful. Why am I doing this to her?

Wait a minute! You are the one who wanted to sell the house. I'm just trying to be nice here.

What? What?

So we got that straightened out. But that is how crazy and frustrating the days can become here.

*

TUESDAY. Baking bread. Sanity! Might follow with traditional biscuits since the oven is hot.

Music, research, yard work kind of day.

*

WED. Definitely off to a better start, yard work and uke practice done before H got up. Banjo left, and research and maybe writing. And some outside chores.

No end of things to do. The issue is energy. Sometimes it just tanks beyond recovery. Old age, I suppose.

Overwhelmed by the reading, research, I  need to do to write with authority over so large a span of world history. Always better to over prepare in this regard. Meanwhile I can push the story along, adding the realistic details later. Should do that for efficiency.

Another technique idea: use sources the way non-fiction uses them.

THURS. Under the weather ... but a good day! No pressure. Progress on banjo, each song with a challenging moment. Research and decision re project ... need to get into manuscript tomorrow. No complaints today ... made olive bread and for dinner homemade pasta, yum! Homemade is always better.

*

FRIDAY. Despite a low energy day, I got some work done on the project manuscript, an important early section. And made a little progress on banjo. All the same, very low energy and little zest today.

*

SATURDAY. Been in a funky space lately. Consistent with a theme in the project actually! Life imitates art. Happens to me all the time.

Slow day, which is fine. Cooking lentils. Chose next songs: Avalon on ukulele, June Apple on banjo.

Watching a cooking show bbquing a whole pig. Pig Roast memories!

*

SUNDAY. Still trying to get back on track ... maybe under the weather was more, but it was a rough week, though I did get some things done. But my attitude sucked most of the time ... a theme in the new book! Writing is a disease.

Anyway, if I can actually pull this sucker off, which is mainly getting the point of view and tone right, I think, it could be something. But it won't be easy.