How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

On the AlphaSmart

Worked on a rather gruesome scene at Little Big Horn ... this taspestry, and it is that, will be fun to shape and perfect once I get the Big Picture down. One of the important things I learned as a writer, which I always emphasized to my students, is that "being bad" is part of the process. You MAKE writing good, it doesn't start out good. In a huge project like this, one can get bogged down on trying to be too good too early. I learned to just let it all spew out and to worry about "being good" after I actually have a lot of words to fiddle with and rework. I knew a writer who had been working on chapter one of his novel for years and years! Wrong approach.

Feel like work is done for the day. Maybe some yard work, and some music practice, but the hard work for Tuesday is done, I think. Good.

Got a charcoal chimney. Hoping to improve my bbq skills. Maybe start using lump coal.

Time for a leaf lard run.

New issue of The Progressive dedicated to food crisis, now and soon, and while there is good news with regard to indie farming, the overall picture is pretty grim with corporate farming in control.

Impossible to be "pure" as a citizen here.

*

We both crashed big time after lunch ... nap time. I'm revived and feel better than I often do after a nap, H still in bed.

Man, this heat spell coming is getting a lot of alarms, a week of almost 100. We don't have AC but we do have a great fan and our area is usually cooler than the city at large. I'm not too worried about it, though H is already groaning. Sketch will join her.

Practice a little music tonight, I think.

posted from Bloggeroid