How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Looking ahead

One of the things I plan to do after I retire is fill in some gaps in my literary education. Reading the Victorians in more depth than I have ... a lot of Hardy and Dickens, maybe use Chesterton's history of the age as my guide.

I also want - I've been thinking of this for a few years - to write an annotated reading of Brown's LOVE'S BODY, a personal response chapter by chapter, perhaps in a new blog created for the occasion.

CJ still calls, too, but I refuse to let him control my life as earlier, when he came close to giving me a nervous breakdown. In school they never tell you about the physical demands and mental stress of serious writing, which I call writing Inside-out (most writing is Outside-in and commercial to one degree or another).

I am very much looking forward to retirement. But first things first. The next six months belong to my students.