How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

In the office

My basement office, that is. Catching up on various online chores. Listening to the Emerson Quartet.

The rain is back. It always is. At least I got caught up with yard work while the sun was out.

Ready to go for next term! Not a bad feeling. MY LAST TERM. Rather a profound time in the rhythm of my life, I think. Meanwhile I am making real progress on ukulele, steady, sure, but still a long ways to go. I want to record two songs today. The third isn't quite ready yet.

I downloaded a jazz workbook, well two volumes, by jazz ukulele guru Glen Rose, big on the net and YouTube ... he has a less formal approach than I am taking, former math major and all, but it will be supplementary material for me and a very user friendly presentation. I want to soak up all I can. I need to find a signature way to do my songs, once I get the instrument down .... I' m not a jazz singer but the lyrics are so important, so well crafted, that I can't neglect them ... almost thinking of a poetry reading approach, where I READ the lyrics to a jazz accompaniment, as if Cole Porter were a beat poet in SF in the fifties. Might be an experiment worth trying. But all that is down the road. I am still learning tech things and hand technique. But loving every minute of it.

And I definitely want to write a music drama. That has been my dream ... music drama, chamber opera, call it what you want ... for years now, since I wrote the libretto for Nugent, I think. Opera is the ultimate narrative form but I don't like its social context ... I like the Brecht tradition. A political music drama with ukulele jazz music. It could be very far out and, in fact, very effective, if done with dramatic and musical skill. A goal, at any rate. Keeps me from jumping off bridges ha ha.

Well, H is not up yet. I'll stay down here a while.