How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Sad Laughter

From my archives:
  • Staged readings only:
    • Song of the Salmon
    • Sad Laughter (1999) (adapted for the screen)
      • "My life is a dress rehearsal for a play."
      • Best Stage Scenes of 1996 ISBN 1-57525-077-2
      • Best Men's Stage Monologues of 1996 ISBN 1-57525-075-6
This is my reworking of a commissioned play, which premiered in 1984 with the title The Comedian In Spite Of Himself. This is the version that Harold Prince called "first rate work" after being given a script by a NYC actress who had seen it and wanted to be in it. But I never liked this longer 3-act version and shortened it to 2 acts. Later I adapted it to screen, and my agent at the time called this version "the best screenplay I've ever read." It never went anywhere, not even a nibble.

How did an unproduced play get scenes in two "Best" books? Because the editor found it on the Internet and asked permission to use it. Obviously this is something that never could happen "in the old days."

There also is a paperback of these: Sad Laughter: the Stage Play and the Screenplay.


Both scripts are high on my list of personal favorites.