How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Monday, June 2, 2014

Death of the AlphaSmart?

Had a hard time starting up again this morning. Screen won't hold content. Just to be safe, ordered a used one from Amazon, they are dirt cheap anyway. Should have gotten  two.

What I wrote last night on the deck follows.

*

Had a hard time starting the AS ... not batteries. Wouldn't stay on.

Been thinking of a favorite high school teacher. Got fired. Too radical or something. I ran into him at school and asked what he was going to do. He said a friend had a cabin in the mountains he could use. He was going to do "some basic thinking." I always remembered the way he put it. Some basic thinking. In his beard and sandals, he wasn't your typical 1950s high school teacher, that's for sure.

Thoreau was up to the same thing at Walden Pond. Doing some basic thinking. What is Life really about anyway? What is our purpose here? Basic thinking.

In a sense, this is my focus with the AlphaSmart, brooding, visiting past haunts and new ones, moments for Basic Thinking.

I am a contradiction. Immensely proud of my literary archive. I'm a far better literary artist than I've been given credit for. At the same time, a part of me feels like a complete failure. Not professionally, interestingly enough, but personally, as a human on the planet. Didn't accomplish much of anything. Because the archive means little to anyone but me.

Part of the garbage to sort out.

AS working fine now. Worried that it took a while to stay on. Not sure what that is about. I changed the batteries on principle, others were years old, but that was not the issue. Hmm.

One great advantage of this AS is that I find it so easy to write/type on, very inviting, very user friendly, which makes me want to keep typing, keep running off at the fingers, and so it is very easy to fill up space here.

I haven't gotten to school work yet, except preparing a handout for Tuesday. Two scripts to read. Obviously I'm putting them off until tomorrow. That's okay.

Two more classes. Wow. This is really going to happen, I will be retired from teaching. I am going to love the release from responsibility for students.

BBQing chicken tonight.