How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

On Visiting My Literary Archive

On Visiting My Literary Archive

This feels like a family reunion.
So many memories!
So much to be proud of!
I never expected to raise
such a large, vigorous family.
The features of clan are everywhere.
How can I not be a proud patriarch?

I know, some if you expected more
fame and fortune than you found
but don't sweat it, there's no timeline
for such accidental rewards. Remember
how a few years back, a young student
browsing in the dark, dusty basement
of his university's library pulled a journal
from the shelf and opened it to
an essay over thirty years old,
started reading, and was so captivated
that he continued the argument
in a book, paying homage to our work
and saying so in print, a gentleman.

This is what can happen even as
the dust gathers. What happened once
can happen again and again.
So relax. Don't fret. You are healthy.
You are immortal. This is enough.