How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Retirement: a poem

Retirement

I want to be a bug
on the wall of life.
I want to watch everything
but have to do nothing.
I want to get good on
the ukulele for my own pleasure.
I want to read the classics
and marvel at how the best writers
have been dead for eons.
I want to stop watching the news.
I want to bake bread.
I want to figure out how
to stay warm. I want
to get good on the ukulele.
I want to repeat myself at will
and not give a damn. I want
to count my blessings, in particular
my wife and our dog, in particular
our routine, a roof over our heads,
food on the table. I want the complications
of my presently simple life to get
even more simple. I want to decide
I am not a failure after all.
I want to get good on the ukulele.
I want to be a bug on the wall of life.

--Charles Deemer