How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Friday, May 9, 2014

A day of relaxation

Today I am doing as little as possible, highlighted with my coffee date. I'll hit the student scripts tomorrow and Sunday, then hit the lawn on Monday ... that should work out.

But I need a day of rest after teaching, more than ever the "shorter" I get ... a mental recharging more than a physical one.

I looked through my annotated memoir, offered free for the next few days, and was genuinely impressed at its documentation of how "the life" influences "the work." I've always been interested in this in the lives of writers, so I documented it in my own. Perhaps a writing student will find it interesting, even useful. I would have.

The first year of retirement is dedicated to downsizing. I am giving myself this much time to do it so there is no pressure, no urgency, just go through all the crap we own, an hour a day at a time or some such, beginning with my office, which is the logical place to begin. I'll play jazz and make it fun. Can't wait.

And also can't wait to get a firm schedule in place for ukulele. Lots of resources! Now to make use of them in a systematic way. Not worried yet about what if anything I do with this new skill but first things first. I still fantasize about a ukulele music drama, chamber opera, whatever one would call it.

The Mariners are in second place! This is fun to see. I hope they stay near the top. They are a good club and their key will be consistency.

Track meets coming up. The rest of the Triple Crown. The World Cup. Lots to look forward to.