How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day

I was raised by my mother early on, dad being at sea, and became very close - so close that she would talk about her sex life with dad with me, things I really didn't need to know.

I disappointed her in two ways: by leaving Cal Tech, even though I had good grades; and by not having a stable marriage that provided her with grandchildren. I suppose I also should add by joining the Army, not the Navy.

Mom, it turns out, was very active in an organization of Cal Tech mothers, which ended when I transfered to Berkeley. Dad always understood why I chose the Army: 3 years instead of 4, but mom saw it as a kind of betrayal. Dad's two brothers, both Army, never let it rest. However, I have always rooted for Navy in the Army-Navy game, so childhood wins in the long run.

I talked to her on the phone the day before she dropped dead on the spot. Both my parents went instantly, falling down dead. A family tradition?