How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Flash fiction: 3 stories

INSIGHTS AFTER SEX
By Charles Deemer

She blew smoke and said, “You’re married.” He smiled. “I can always tell.”

“How’s that?”

“You’re nervous. Like your old lady may barge in.”

“Maybe there’s another reason.”

“Like what?”

“Maybe I’m undercover vice.”

“Just my luck.”

She passed him the cigarette. He took a slow drag.

“Yeah, I’m married.”

***

THE LANGUAGE OF MEN
By Charles Deemer    

The bartender brought them fresh drinks. It was Frank’s round.

Joe said, “So what’d she say?”

“She gave me one of her looks.”

“Which look is that?”

Frank shoved a dollar tip at the bartender.

“The one that says get lost.” he said.

“And then?”

“Here I am.”

They drank.

***

ONE-NIGHT STAND
By Charles Deemer

In the morning, he reached for her – and felt wrinkled sheets. So she was gone. Last night he was sure this one was different.

Making coffee, he became depressed. They always left.

Suddenly she walked in, carrying groceries.

“How does steak and eggs sound?” she asked. “I feel like celebrating.”