How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Monday, May 27, 2013

Demons

1

The demons are back. These termites
of the mind are blowing up synapses
morphing consciousness into obsession
banning all thoughts unrelated to hypertext
and the project at hand to a Mental Siberia
where Lawrence Welk music plays
throughout eternity. There's no rest
here, in the demonic mind, a stressful
dance I thought I'd left with semi-
retirement, recently enjoying a new
life of tranquility, relaxation, peace
but no, no, no, the demons are back
keeping me awake, dragging me
to the computer at odd moments
to change a word, fix some code
obsessed, always obsessed, with
the work, the work, the work
I thought I was done with all this.


2

But I learned something.

Across the way the grass is never greener.
Across the way the grass is always brown.

Happiness is knowing when to quit.