How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Monday, May 13, 2013

Starbucks At Three

(Scene: Two old men at a table on the patio.)

Baker: Be nice.
Curt: Why should I be nice?
B. Because you're no better than anybody else.
C. Who said I was?
B. Well, sometimes it sounds like it, the way you carry on.
C. I look at the world and I get upset.
B. Curt, I got news for you. There's not a damn thing you can do about it.
C. I know that.
B. Then get off your high horse about it. Nobody else can fix it either.
C. But they act like nothing's wrong.
B. Because they don't scream about it like you? Maybe they tried and the wind blew piss back in their face. Maybe they have nightmares about it but keep them to themselves.
C. Maybe they're stupid.
B. Some of both, I'm sure. The point is, since nothing can be done - well, with an exception - why go around blaming people?
C. What's the exception?
B. You can keep a positive attitude.
C. Are you kidding me?
B. Not about the world. About yourself. About your good timing and good fortune. About how much control you have over your day. You get to listen to Chris Connor or Mulligan or Miles whenever you want. I know you like that. You can watch those old movies you like. Whenever you want, you're retired, for Christ's sake. Like that Burt Lancaster one you were telling me about.
C. Atlantic City.
B. Atlantic City. And what is it you were telling me the other day? There's not enough time to read all the good books out there. Even less time if you waste some banging your head against the wall. See my point?
C. I just get so frustrated.
B. Everybody does. What matters is what you do with it. Don't get one-eyed about it.
C. Cummings.
B. Exactly. "as long as you and i have arms and lips which are for kissing and to sing with, who cares if some oneeyed sonofabitch invents an instrument to measure Spring with?" Amen. Right?
C. I see your point.
B. Amen.
C. Amen.