How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Nightmare

I try to imagine how this mess
we've created - climate change,
plutocracy- is going to end
and it's not a pretty picture.

It's already started far enough
from us to ignore: drought,
food shortages, disease, riots,
genocide as the usual final
solution. We repeat endlessly
that we'll be spared all this,
being so civilized and all, but
look more closely and you'll see
the sides being chosen for class
warfare - and water shortages
and the rest aren't even in
the mix yet. We're riding a
runaway train out of control.

I'm lucky. I should be dead from
natural causes before the worst
happens but, man, I feel for you,
faced with such a future. I ask myself,
What would I do if I were
in your shoes?

I think I know.

I'd revive my show "Ramblin'",
an appreciation of the songs
and stories of Woody Guthrie.
And I'd sing at the top of my lungs

That ol' dust storm
blew my house down
but it can't blow me down
and it can't blow me down

That ol' dust storm
killed my babies
but it can't kill me, Lord
and it can't kill me

and I'd sing this as long as
I had breath because in times
of crisis a man has to live
his own epitaph.