How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Do I see the light at the end of the tunnel?

Each year, teaching takes more out of me than it did the year before. I can still do it but it takes me longer to recover from it. I'm committed to teaching next academic year but I'm wondering if 2013-4 might be the end of the road. Or will I get a second wind over the summer, as I always have in the past?

If I stop, we'll miss the extra income and will have to adjust accordingly. This also is a nudge to keep going. H would have a bigger adjustment because she does so much traveling.

Well, what happens, happens. I take it one class at a time. I still enjoy it, in fact I enjoy it more than ever, but I am physically and mentally exhausted after two hours in the classroom these days. And the prep work takes longer than it used to. Very much so. And the responsibility is more stressful than ever, considering how much an education costs kids these days. It's outrageous.

Also, it would be very nice to experience something like retirement. I would like to know how that feels.

I do sense some changes in rhythm ahead. That, or I collapse from exhaustion.