How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Better late than never

I have at hand a book I've been lugging around for 25 or 30 years: John Mehegan's "Jazz Improvisation 1: Tonal and Rhythmic Principles." A jazz musician recommended it, and it fed my fantasy of becoming a jazz pianist. I went through it enough to treasure the numerous jazz arrangements of standards, expressed in chord forms, usually two to a measure, and I taught myself a couple tunes on the guitar, cheating by playing only the top 3 strings. Very tasty stuff!

Now I have 4 strings to work with! Yes, I am gaining confidence that I can learn jazz ukulele if I put in the practice time these next 9 months. All the early tests have decent results. And this challenge will be fun! Clawhammer and fingerpicking are relatively easy compared to playing jazz arrangements of standards.

So the real work begins and my formal class starts soon. Onward!