How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Progress?

IT at the university has updated me to Windows 7 on my office computer. Fortunately docs I need are stored in Box, so everything is more or less cool, though of course I think Windows 7 is worse than XP so far. Naturally. I seldom like updates better. Part of the corporate conspiracy, however, so you have to live with it or go back to complete self-sufficiency and write in the sand.

A day of experimental writing exercises in class. Curious how they will turn out, trying some new stuff. Trying to get them out of the comfortable box of their prose writing habits. I've tried everything these past 17 years, now I am really getting radical ha ha.

Look like a good classroom for winter term. After that, only one more to go! And I collect midterms today, the term is half over. This is incredible! How time flies when you are ... having fun ... or whatever.

Man, I like my Cordoba ukulele! It has such a rich tone, it really motivates me. The cheapie plays the same notes but they are flat and uninteresting. These notes ring out. I wonder what a $500 uke sounds like. Hard to imagine.

I am making progress on movable chords. I have a few songs close to being recorded: a bit of Fur Elise ... I Ride An Old Paint, for finger picking accompaniment ... You Are My Sunshine, for clawhammer accompaniment and solo ... Five Foot Two, for strumming and chord soloing. 4 different styles! Hey, I've been doing this only for a few weeks. In 9 months, who knows, I may in fact be playing jazz! That is a very exciting prospect. Then, if it happens, I must use it dramatically somehow. A ukulele opera! What a hoot. I might as well go out crazy and swinging.

I gave the publisher a new cover for my book. I didn't like the back cover, tweaked it. Beauty of POD, you can change things easily. This book actually is a bit sad. If I say so myself. But it is ruthlessly honest, and that is all it needs to be.

Other than 7 more books in the Overdrive series (!), not sure what writing is left in me. Occasional poems, I am sure. Great concept for new CJ novel but issue may be energy. It might become an Overdrive novella, or it might just be a fantasy in the mind.

Not to worry. What happens, happens.