How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Here's the Deal

Here's the Deal

I don't play video games.
I don't do social media.
I don't listen to pop music.
I don't read pop lit.
I would flunk every quiz
about pop culture after 1969
and barely pass the rest.

But I think Homer's Iliad is
the best war story ever told.

I think Dos Passos' USA trilogy is
the Great American Novel.

I think Durrenmatt's The Physicists
and Weiss' Marat/Sade
and Albee's A Delicate Balance
and Wilder's The Skin of Our Teeth
and Brown's Love's Body
and Berman's The Reenchantment of the World
and Connell's Mrs. Bridge
and a few other books are

works of genius inviting
many readings and considerable
reflection - so who the hell has time
for video games, social media,
pop music or pop lit?

Certainly not I!

--Charles Deemer