How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

More about friends

Sketch and I went for a cruise and I've calmed down. If you had seen the pain and confusion in Harriet's face trying to understand this card a friend sent her, you'd be very upset, too. She has enough challenges without that. She didn't understand what the card meant, why the person had written it ("Doesn't she like me any more?", which is the opposite of what it said!! which is rather the point here, folks.)

The irony, of course, is that the card is so loving. But it also is self-serving. It says, *I* am not there every day because etc. Well, guess what? Harriet has not asked about this friend once. She hasn't asked about anybody from church or the art world or any of her current groups once, at least not in my presence. She has asked about family. She has asked about three old friends she has had since the 1970s. She doesn't have mental time for the rest, I guess.

She has brain damage. We get down to basics here. See spot run. The therapist gets on my case for being too complicated, and I know what is going on. Don't make her try to understand something.