How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Sunday, October 12, 2014

On the need to DO something

H has a very strong need to do things and silence, meditation, reflection do not count. Is this a Jewish tradition? It's very American blue collar, I know ... the basis of the culture's long tradition of anti-intellectualism (Hofstadter wrote brilliantly on this). Anyway, this morning she looks at yesterday as a waste because she didn't DO anything when, in my view, it was by far the best day of her rehab and the best day we've had in our marriage in years. Ah, me. 

Pam coming over this morn to relieve me so I can do some shopping. Made a list of things she asks for and we don't have.

I'm good. I am very patient with the zillions of repetitions. I get impatient at a different level, the need to be at meetings, in charge, the leader, not missing out on anything. She has a great day in rehab, yesterday, but thinks of it today as a day of boring do nothing failure. Very interesting indeed. Somebody Jewish has to tell me about the work ethic in this tradition.