How to tell a story

How to tell a story

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Starbucks At Three

(Scene: Curt and Baker, men in their 70s, sit at a table on a small patio outside Starbucks.)

C: You watch the Blazers game last night?

B: Missed it. Who won?

C: I didn't watch it either. Couldn't get past the National Anthem.

B: Oh Jesus, here we go.

C: It's the Star Spangled Banner, for Christ's sake. Show a little respect.

B: Who was it?

C: I don't remember her name. Some Grammy winner.

B: Who over-sang it.

C: To say the least. Total show off, can I hold a high note or what? And no way you could understand the lyrics. It was all about showing off her voice.

B: I forget your name for that.

C: The Ella Fitzgerald School of Singing. Versus the Billie Holiday School of Singing, where the song comes first, the voice serves the song.

B: And for this you missed the game?

C: I couldn't watch it. The TV broke.

B: Talk about bad timing.

C: Well, I threw a book at it. Shattered the screen.

B: Jesus.

C: Goddamn it, she was scat singing the National Anthem!